KDE is not an OS platform... (And neither is Gnome)

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Nov 3 01:43:43 GMT 2009

On November 2, 2009, nf2 wrote:
> * Change Konq to just download such files, just like FF. Personally i
> like that web-browsers are kind of their own sandbox, not sharing
> session information with the rest of the computer. For instance I'm
> using two browsers on my desktop: One for Gmail, and one for everthing
> else. But i can hear the KDE crowd shout: That's against our credo - a
> fully integrated desktop.

as Will noted, you are indeed fighting against the current here and we are
simply not interested in taking steps backwards in the user experience just to
win a phyrric victory that lets us say "we share a VFS layer".

all is not lost, however. as i've mentioned numerous times in discussions on
IRC there are several related places we can work on broad integration that
have NONE of the complexity or downside implications of a "Grand Unified VFS
Layer" have. this includes things like a shared wallet system, a shared
cookies storage system, a shared "places" system, etc. those things which are
not yet standardized and do cause REAL issues with the user experience today.

whereas the VFS issue is rife with problems blocking its realization while it
presents essentially ZERO negatives to the user experience in itself.

imho you are looking to solve problems, at least given the context of "right
now", in the wrong layer. it isn't the VFS that needs harmonizing, it's all
the services the VFS uses in coordination with the applications where we have
the real and visible chinks in our armor.

so can we work on those things instead of trying to force feed the project
something that isn't wanted? thanks.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se