device-automounter moved to kdereview

Jacopo De Simoi wilderkde at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 23:45:18 GMT 2009

On Monday 02 November 2009 23:56:14 Jacopo De Simoi wrote:
> > So you /don't / have to use UDIs (unless you're manually adding to the list)
> > to use the feature.
>
> I believe we need to get rid of the UDIs and provide some more not just user-friendly, but "human-friendly" strings..
> Having to deal with them even in some cases is not really acceptable. I'll try to have a look into this
> to see how we can sort this out

Just quickly playing with the solid minibrowser I have a few suggestions

First of all, show whichever icon solids give to the device, it really really helps to figure out what we are talking about even before we start reading.

The volume property info.product is quite uninformative (usually Volume(ext3)), but if you jump back to the closest relative which has a info.product property you will find quite interesting things, such as ExpressCard, or stuff like that.

Then I'd compose a string with the following field (with parent I mean the closest device in the hierarchy which has the infos required)

parent.info.vendor parent.info.product volume.info.product (size)
Some real-life examples:

Seagate FreeAgent Go Backup_HD (160 Go)
ST325082 0A MediaHD (250 Go)
Lexar ExpressCard ssdhome (5 Go)
Lexar ExpressCard ssdroot (3 Go)
SD02G Volume (ext3) (2 Go) (with SD icon)
Kingston FCR-HS219/1 MicroSD (2 Go) (I'm cheating here... MicroSD is the volume label)

Still, as you can see there's room for improvement, in particular the second guy was giving quite debatable information about itself (however still better than /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_uuid_ECBF_30CC)