KDE is not an OS platform... (And neither is Gnome)

Dario Freddi drf54321 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 14:27:45 GMT 2009

On Sunday 01 November 2009 15:08:49 nf2 wrote:
> I agree. GUI applications should always use async APIs like KIO or
> GIO. But: At the moment many of them won't, because that implies
> deciding for a certain desktop environment. That's the problem i would
> like to solve.

As we discussed on IRC some time ago, this is where a shared interface should
kick in and be implemented on both sides.

Then you can provide it in various forms (DBUS API as the main entry point,
and eventually qt/gobject wrapper libraries to ease the dbus handling) to any
3rd party application (such as firefox), and write bridges from/to KIO to/from
GIO (as you are currently doing right now, if I understood correctly) to allow
native KDE/GNOME applications to appear native on the other side as well.

Done that, there's no actual need to replace one or the other.

> The free desktop desperately needs those 3rd party applications, and
> it's definitely not in the market position to tell application
> developers: "Then you just write your application twice! One for KDE
> and one for Gnome".

Let me remind you that, even if GNOME and KDE have a huge portion of the
market, there are some other DE out there, that might (one day, if not
already) have their own IO subsystem. And that's another good reason for
having a shared interface

--

Dario Freddi
KDE Developer