RFC: remove qt-copy

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri May 29 17:34:13 BST 2009

On Friday 29 May 2009, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Your arguments could be applied to qt-copy patches too.
>
> Should we forbid ourselves from adding any patches at all?

following the guidelines you outlined, i think we can get Close Enough(tm).

will there be exceptions? almost certainly.

but right now we don't deal with these as exceptions and there is clearly
defined workflow for how things move into qt-copy and ultimately into qt as a
result. it's all a bit ad-hoc; we do have (unwritten?) guidelines and we try
and stick to sane practices but that's clearly not enough.

the result is that what should be the exception has become the status quo.

from talking with 3rd party software developers and seeing our own track
record (that we had a BIC patch in there at one point is really concerning),
it's very apparent to me that exceptions are ok, but the status quo needs to
be much more conservative and well defined.

when we are inflexible through the pursuit of perfect solutions ("there are
exceptions, so we can't adopt this strategy at all") we end up with lesser or
even no solution. when we can accept that this is the principle we strive
towards at every turn, even though there will be exceptions, then we end up
with something that may not be perfect but is a lot closer to it than we would
have otherwise.

so it is that the attitude that it's perfectly cool for every packager to
decide on their own set of patches to apply to Qt is just fine as far as we're
concerned and that we don't really need a defined workflow that prevents this
should be tossed. Qt devel is opening up, we should take advantage of that; we
are seeing more 3rd party developers coming online (or at least, so it seems)
and we ought to take that seriously.

so yes, there will be times when we face an exception here or there, BUT can
we not achieve:

* the same patch set amongst packages of the same Qt version as much as
possible (so we don't have different-patches-in-different-versions-in-the-
wild)

* we severely limit ourselves as to what we allow into kde-qt and instead
focus more on Qt itself (you have provided some good guidelines for this
already, imho)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se