RFC: remove qt-copy

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Mon May 25 23:12:18 BST 2009

On May 25, 2009 13:54:53 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> hi all ...
>
> since it's finally come up on the kde-commit list, i'd like to make a
> "formal" proposal regarding qt-copy, namely:
>
> Proposal
> -------------
> * Use http://qt.gitorious.org/+kde-developers/qt/kde-qt instead of qt-copy
> * Remove qt-copy from our svn repository after a post-announcement grace
> period (so that we don't pull the rug out from under people)

eeek! change! nooooo! ;)

more seriously... scripty uses qt-copy.
so this'll have to happen after I write and test git support for scripty. :)
if I'm lucky this might be done by the end of the week - but no promises.

> Implementation
> ---------------------
> Someone will need to make sure that all of our patches are already in
> kde-qt if they aren't already.
>
> Someone will need to update any articles on Techbase that refer to qt-copy
> and provide a step-by-step on how to use kde-qt. This might be a nice
> exercise in starting to put together a "Using KDE's git repositories"
> information we'll need in the future anyways (assuming that the KDE git
> transition does actually occur)

yes... we're going to need lots of nice readable documentation on a) how to
use git for standard tasks and b) how to actually understand git :)

my favourite git references:
http://cheat.errtheblog.com/s/git
http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/%7Eblynn/gitmagic/
http://git.or.cz/course/svn.html
http://tom.preston-werner.com/2009/05/19/the-git-parable.html

> Someone will need to provide a formal announcement so everyone has a heads
> up along with pointers to the above instructions.
>
> Someone will need to actually remove qt-copy from svn after the grace
> period following the announcement (1 week? 2? 3?).

with a few warnings beforehand, I assume, because I'll probably forget all
about it and end up copying the techbase instructions at the last minute...
hmm, although it's not like you're going to rip qt-copy out of my hard drive.
so as long as I don't try to svn up I won't even notice. :)

--
This message brought to you by eevil bananas and the number 3.
www.chani3.com