RFC: remove qt-copy

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon May 25 21:54:53 BST 2009

hi all ...

since it's finally come up on the kde-commit list, i'd like to make a "formal"
proposal regarding qt-copy, namely:

Proposal
-------------
* Use http://qt.gitorious.org/+kde-developers/qt/kde-qt instead of qt-copy
* Remove qt-copy from our svn repository after a post-announcement grace
period (so that we don't pull the rug out from under people)

Details and Benefits
----------------------------
Any KDE developer can be added to the kde-developers team and thereby have
commit access, just as we do now.

Keeping kde-qt up to date with Qt upstream can be done via gitorious, which
should make it easier for us.

It fits directly into the Qt Software development team's daily workflow
meaning that the odds of our patches getting upstreamed increases.

It removes a bit more burden on our svn server and we can probably stop with
things like the apply-patches stuff. Less overhead and time == good, and
people won't have to know about apply-patches to make it all work.

Downsides
----------------
It means using git, not something everyone is comfortable with. This is nearly
a moot point, however, as that move seems inevitable; while there isn't
unanimity on the topic (and I doubt that's realistically achievable; it's a
little like whitespace conventions ;) there as an apparent general consensus
on the matter.

It means checking out and building Qt again.

Implementation
---------------------
Someone will need to make sure that all of our patches are already in kde-qt
if they aren't already.

Someone will need to update any articles on Techbase that refer to qt-copy and
provide a step-by-step on how to use kde-qt. This might be a nice exercise in
starting to put together a "Using KDE's git repositories" information we'll
need in the future anyways (assuming that the KDE git transition does actually
occur)

Someone will need to provide a formal announcement so everyone has a heads up
along with pointers to the above instructions.

Someone will need to actually remove qt-copy from svn after the grace period
following the announcement (1 week? 2? 3?).

Thoughts? Opinions?

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se