Improvement of tool button in KDE4

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at web.de
Wed May 20 22:01:52 BST 2009

Am Wednesday 20 May 2009 schrieb Christoph Feck:

> * The toolbutton menu delay is read via QStyle::SH_ToolButton_PopupDelay,
> so wether it is configurable or not depends on the used style (the idea is
> that the delay should follow platform guidelines). Of course we could
> change that value for KStyle, because 600 ms is really too long (IMHO). I
> use 250 ms in Skulpture.
lame, bespin has 150 ;-P

> * If you are implementing "click and drag" with the delayed button,
> *please* think about users with a pen and respect
> QApplication::dragDistance(), as on a tablet it is (nearly) impossible to

this is in particular why i'd vote against making "delayed" vs. "click and
drag" either some HIG enforcement or style dependent.
it's entirely about the user in person, his/her motorics and input devices.

so such behaviour should be
1. configurable (regardless all "not too many options, please" yells - there's
no "right" choice)
2. not handled by the style (as otherwise all styles would have implement some
config for it or rule out some users or live with the "but style xxx does yyy"
bug reports) - iff at all then by kstyle, but even that's no good solution as
it would exclude the built in Qt styles

(by taking a long dragDistance() into account the whole advance of this would
be lost, so pen or even touchpad users would likely prefer the delayed variant
in the first place)

Thomas