KNotificationItem: default menu entries unwanted

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu May 14 21:21:01 BST 2009

On Thursday 14 May 2009, Sebastian Trüg wrote:
> On Thursday 14 May 2009 18:47:04 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> >
> > we could tie it into whether or not there is an associated window (which
> > also controls whether or not minimize/restore is shown there). the
> > implication would be that for icons without an associated window, it
> > would be up to the application to offer a quit action.
>
> in the case of Nepomuk this would not help much since it is a system
> service with a window (a status window).

ok, so the ability to turn on/off actions is needed. i'm on an airplane in a
few hours, and i'll take a look at how to add it to the api in the least
disruptive way then.

> > i'm not sure that makes the most sense however ...
> >
> > another option might be to not show that entry if the type is System
> > Services? or would that be overloading that parameter with too many side
> > effects ...
>
> Depends. Could it be possible to have a systray applet which only shows the
> status of a system service. (Well, actually this is what the Nepomuk thingi
> should become at some point.)

yes, and the tray can now treat them responsibly, such as hiding them when
they are marked as idle, for instance. (we already do that, in fact :)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se