KNotificationItem: default menu entries unwanted

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Thu May 14 18:44:24 BST 2009

On Thursday 14 May 2009, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Thursday 14 May 2009, Allen Winter wrote:
> > On Thursday 14 May 2009 7:51:34 am Sebastian TrĂ¼g wrote:
> > > Since the Nepomuk systray icon was ported to KNotificationItem it
> > > always shows the "quit" action which is really not wanted in this case.
> > > It represents a service that is not really supposed to be quit through
> > > the icon.
>
> we could tie it into whether or not there is an associated window (which
> also controls whether or not minimize/restore is shown there). the
> implication would be that for icons without an associated window, it would
> be up to the application to offer a quit action.
>
> i'm not sure that makes the most sense however ...
>
> another option might be to not show that entry if the type is System
> Services? or would that be overloading that parameter with too many side
> effects ...

this sounds good, i think it feels natural that totally different items offer
a different set of functionality or aspect.
the only risk i see is that application would start lying on their category
only because the developer liked more one way or the other even if it doesn't
make sense on that particular app

Cheers,
Marco Martin