KNotificationItem: default menu entries unwanted

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu May 14 17:47:04 BST 2009

On Thursday 14 May 2009, Allen Winter wrote:
> On Thursday 14 May 2009 7:51:34 am Sebastian TrĂ¼g wrote:
> > Since the Nepomuk systray icon was ported to KNotificationItem it always
> > shows the "quit" action which is really not wanted in this case. It
> > represents a service that is not really supposed to be quit through the
> > icon.

we could tie it into whether or not there is an associated window (which also
controls whether or not minimize/restore is shown there). the implication
would be that for icons without an associated window, it would be up to the
application to offer a quit action.

i'm not sure that makes the most sense however ...

another option might be to not show that entry if the type is System Services?
or would that be overloading that parameter with too many side effects ...

i need to think about this some more ...

> > Thus, my question: could we add a method like
> > "addDefaultActions(bool)" to KNotificationItem which prevents the
> > aboutToShow method to add the quit and restore actions?

we could; i wonder if there's an even better approach that doesn't require
more API or encourage people to cheat on the standard features. hm.

> We also need a hide/show capability.
>
> And something changed yesterday... now when a user clicks on the korgac
> icon KOrganizer is no longer launched.  This worked 2 days ago.

hm, worksforme... i think my kdepim is a few days old though; i'll svn up at
some point and try to replicate and if i can debug from there... i assume
other left clicks (e.g. on the kmix icon) are working?

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se