Adding KFontUtils to kdeui

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Fri May 1 21:51:56 BST 2009

A Divendres, 1 de maig de 2009, Christoph Feck va escriure:
> Am Friday 01 May 2009 16:25:42 schrieb Albert Astals Cid:
> > The rational of this helper method is that QFontMetrics is a good try but
> > it really fails when you need pixel perfection.
>
> Hm, if your aim is pixel perfection, you really should return a qreal here,
> as with high DPI displays the difference between a 10 pt and an 11 pt font
> can be quite big.

You got me, the code is from Qt3 times when fonts were int sizes only ;-)

Attaching a qrealized patch.

> The return value documentation says "biggest", the description says
> "optimal".

Actually it's not the biggest since the
  size = qMin(width * size / boundingRect.width(), height * size /
boundingRect.height());
asumes fonts react linearly to font size, and that's not totally true, but
well, it gives you a quite good guess, so i'm still going with "biggest"
unless you suggest a better explanation.

> As for the name, fontSize() sounds like an attribute getter, it should
> reflect the fact that it computes the largest possible font size, maybe
> call it adaptFontSize() to reflect the behaviour that it changes the size
> of the QPainter's font?

Seems a good name, also adapted to KFontMetrics as suggested by Allen.

Albert