overhaul of some kcm appearance

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Mon Mar 16 22:11:58 GMT 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 10:49:21PM +0100, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> Or structure kdelibs a bit like kdebase, with a set of "core"
> libraries (kdecore, kdeui, kio, kfile), and some not so-core stuff,
> like e.g. katepart, lkhtml, plasma, ftp and http ioslaves, kdoctools,
> etc. ?

it's not about the distribution to participating developers (which is
whom our meta-modules concern), but about the libraries themselves. most
of the "peripheral" libs are fairly small and address exactly one issue.
this, however, cannot be said about our central libs. they contain
everything and the kitchen sink. this means that if you want one thing
(thing being defined as a general theme, not just one class), you get
100 others plus their dependencies. this is inacceptable to a developer
who tries to be truly desktop-agnostic and wants to minimize the number
of points of failure. ready availability of kde "everywhere" will not
significantly change this situation, i think.

of course, properly structuring libraries and their dependencies is hard
work and poses additional challenges to integration (gnome seems to have
(had?) issues on that front). but it is a price you have to pay to reach
wider acceptance. even internally, as you see.