Fullscreen interfaces

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Mar 13 13:36:41 GMT 2009

On Thursday 12 March 2009, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> A Dijous, 12 de març de 2009, Aaron J. Seigo va escriure:

> Well, personally i've this stance against plasma because it seems a very
> agressive project to me (i am not saying it is, it is just my own and very
> personal feeling).

aggressive as in "lots of development and has a clear set of ambitious goals"
or something else?

> It got a video player when we already have a video player in KDE,

the video player widget is a wrapper around Phonon.
it is designed to allow people to easily embed bits of video in their
plasmoids.

if you look around the web, for instance, you'll see a lot of websites that
include little bits of video. it's a common use case.

just because we have kaffeine and dragon, doesn't mean we don't want video
anywhere else or that it's appropriate in all cases to have a full dragon part
in an application (that's partly why we have Phonon in the first place)

so saying "plasma offers the ability to easily embed video and that is bad for
dragon player" is like saying "qt offers a table view, and that's bad for
kspread"

> somebody suggested a mixer plasma thingy when we already
> have kmix,

kicker had a mixer applet. plasma doesn't have such a widget yet. the
suggested mixer widget is nothing more than an improved version of the kicker
applet.

> it's got a web browser when we already have a web browser in
> KDE,

the web browser widget is there for the same reason as the video widget. we
have a little plasmoid built around it so people can put bits of web stuff on
their desktop if they wish, but it is not now, nor will it ever be, anything
akin to a viable or intended replacement for konqueror or any other full web
browser.

> basically it seems like people want to code a "mini" KDE inside plasma
> with it's "window" management (obviously subpar compared to kwin) and all
> the apps.

you've read it completely wrong.

(and btw, having objects on a canvas has nothing to do with window management
nor is it meant to be like window management. i've personally on several
occasions blocked changes that would make plasmoids more "like windows"
because that is _not what they are_ nor how they can or should work)

> And that's something i'm not sure i like.

i hope that by understanding it better, you'll feel more at ease.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se