overhaul of some kcm appearance

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Thu Mar 12 09:15:37 GMT 2009

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 05:13:28PM -0600, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 March 2009, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > pulling a 2 meg lib (which again pulls something like 40 more libs
> > of *very* varying sizes) for one small class is where "makes sense"
> > does not apply by my standards.
>
> in this case we're talking about using it in kcm's that are certainly
> part of the KDE4 workspace. as such, these libraries will already be
> loaded and in use by other apps, and it's kcm's not some small utility
> where this would have a long term and meaningful impact on usage.

not really true ... this is also pulled into kdm's kcm, and that may
very well be used outside a kde workspace.

you should also consider that some people might compose workspaces with
kde workspace components but without plasma; in fact, a light-weight
kde-based alternative to plasma is being developed right now.

> plasma-mid, plasma-overlay (screensaver) .. perhaps one day even kdm-plasma ;)

oh, i really hope so. but it will be dynamically loaded and totally
optional. :P