kdesupport/polkit-qt question

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Wed Mar 11 19:10:30 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 11 March 2009, Dario Freddi wrote:
> Hi Kevin,
>
> We surely would have liked to do as you said. Unfortunately, messing with
> those exact methods is unavoidable, since we need to pass PolicyKit a
> standard DBusMessage object, and there seems to be no way to get it from a
> QDBusMessage. If you dive deeper in the code, you'll see that
> methods/objects are used just to pass some DBusMessages to PolicyKit.

This is what I meant. You should be using the specified D-Bus interface
instead.

After all this is the very purpose of D-Bus, to be able to specify interfaces
without forcing certain implementations.

It helps to take a step back and have a look at it from a different angle.
Just assume you would not be using C or C++, e.g. Java or C#, then you would
still have access to any D-Bus interface through the respective D-Bus
implementation but not have access to libdbus API (especially since those
D-Bus bindings are not using it internally either).

Which shows quite nicely that any kind of D-Bus related services that want to
be infrastructure for Free Software desktop systems will have their D-Bus
interfaces as the official API.

For example see HAL, NetworkManager, etc.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring