experimental kdelibs documentation on techbase

Alex Merry kde at randomguy3.me.uk
Sat Jun 27 13:39:48 BST 2009

On Friday 26 June 2009 21:34:30 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> hi..
>
> i spent some time this afternoon touching up:
>
> 	http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/New_KDE_Library_API_Policy
>
> and linking to it from the policies page. if i've forgotten anything (as i
> likely have) please don't hesitate to edit the page directly and/or bring
> up points here.

Two things: should the second version of the library be
libgreatness-2.so.1
or
libgreatness-2.so.2?
The page suggests both (libgreatness-2.so.2 is an explicit example, but the
"template" is lib<foo>-#.so.#).

Also, I believe there was some mention made of changing namespaces when moving
to a stable release in order to avoid symbol clashes with applications still
using the experimental library.

So if you have a class KGreatness in the experimental library used by fooapp,
and then libkdeui is updated to include a binary-incompatible version of the
KGreatness class, fooapp now potentially has two versions of the KGreatness
class in the libraries it links to.

At least, that is how I understand the situation.

Alex

--
Why have I got six monitors?  Because I haven't got room for eight.
  -- Terry Pratchett