F11 - fullscreen shortcut

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Jun 4 13:01:53 BST 2009

On 04.06.09 12:43:17, John Tapsell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>   After much discussion on kde-usability,

By _users_, not by usability experts.

> I've added F11 as an alternative shortcut for full screen.
>
> Rationale:
>
> * Konqueror and Mozilla already use F11 as full screen, so linux users are used
> * Most Windows apps use it (almost all those that support full screen
> use F11, with a full exceptions like Windows Media Player and
> Pinball), so users coming from Windows are used to this.
> * Most Gnome apps appear to also use F11 (Rhythmbox, Songbird,
> Gnome-Terminal, etc)

Then why is it only added to an optional action? Any application in KDE can
decide for itself wether it uses that action or not, so this is not really
a "default" shortcut for all apps.

> * KWin is adding F11 as a full screen shortcut for all apps anyway, so
> this keeps things consistent whether you are running kwin or not.

No its not, at least not in the 1 week old checkout of trunk that I have.
Maybe distributions patched that.

> Please check whether your apps currently assign F11 to another task.

You need to tell that kde-devel as well at least. Not to mention that
this notification should be done at least a week before doing the change.

Andreas

--
Your society will be sought by people of taste and refinement.