KDE/kdelibs/kdeui/shortcuts

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Jun 3 22:21:53 BST 2009

On 03.06.09 15:57:23, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Andreas Pakulat wrote:
>> On 03.06.09 19:07:14, John Tapsell wrote:
>>> SVN commit 977282 by johnflux:
>>>
>>> Add F11 as a shortcut for fullscreen
>>
>> [...] this takes away a prominent and easy-to-reach shortcut from
>> _all_ applications for the benefit of just a few (which actually have
>> special fullscreen mode) as far as I understood.
>
> Actually, everything has full-screen mode, since it is a WM thing
> (unless it goes out of its way to avoid it). It just isn't "special" in
> most applications.

No, actually no non-xmlgui app will have that action (unless it
explicitly adds it to its menu/toolbar/mainwindow), because its not a WM
thing (thats only something thats being discussed in that endless
thread). In xmlgui apps one still can opt to not having that action by
simply not asking KStandardAction::fullScreen (or whatever the actual
code is) for an action.

>> At least KDevelop probably cannot and will not have F11 as shortcut [snip]
>
> Actually, since it is a global WM shortcut, KDevelop can and will have
> it, whether it wants to or not, and AFAIK there is nothing you* can do
> about it.

Its not and if that every changes I'll be dumping kwin as windowmanager
:) In fact we already do our own thing in kdevelop (as I just found out)
and use Ctrl+Shift+F11 and KToggleFullScreenAction directly instead of
the standard shortcuts thingie.

> (* "you" meaning "KDevelop, the application"... though you might get a
> 'conflicting shortcut' warning. As a person, you can obviously argue
> against the change or even revert it.)
>
> FWIW, I'm moderately opposed to this change as well.

Additionally this late in the release cycle with no easy way of checking
wether any application might already have used F11 for something else
and now has conflicting shortcuts.

Andreas

--
You shall be rewarded for a dastardly deed.