[RFC] reorganizing logout & suspend stuff

Parker Coates parker.coates at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 00:37:59 BST 2009

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 8:02 AM, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> hi,
>
> yeah, once more $SUBJECT ...
>
> while investigating some problems relating to logout & shutdown, i was
> reminded of an interesting anomaly: ksmserver shows the suspend options
> only when running under kdm (or another supported display manager),
> which is technically completely unnecessary.
>
> the current "leave" menu splits actions into those which affect only the
> current session and those which affect the entire system.
> however, there is also a second dimension: actions which terminate the
> current session and those which don't. organizing by that, one would get
> a menu which looks like that:
>
> session ->
>  leave
>    logout
>    reboot
>    shutdown
>  suspend
>    switch user
>    lock
>    standby
>    suspend to ram
>    suspend to disk
>
> from ksmserver's perspective, only the first group is interesting.
>
> technicalities aside, it seems weird to have the non-terminating
> suspend/standby-related options under the same button as the terminating
> power-down, and it poses the question what to do when power-down is not
> available as the top-level item.
>
> so ... let the brilliant ideas flow in.

Hello Oswald,

The following division seems most natural *to me*. The first group are
multi-user related. The second group is dedicated only to suspending.
The third group are involved shutting down the system/kernel, but I
can't think of a particularly great label for it.

Session
  Lock
  Logout
  Switch user

Suspend
  Standby
  Suspend to ram
  Suspend to disk

System (Stop? End? Quit? Power down?)
  Reboot
  Shutdown

I like this division because the groupings are a bit more task
oriented. Of course these are just my thoughts.

Parker