Use phonon from Qt or kdesupport?

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 06:47:04 BST 2009

On July 21, 2009 13:18:57 Fathi Boudra wrote:
> >>Maybe I am confused, do the extra backends live somewhere that isn't
> >>kdesupport/phonon?
>
> there's 2 backends (WIP) in playground/multimedia: vlc and mplayer.
> they're not released yet but will be ready soon.
>
> > Sorry, I think I was confused. I meant that there will be no
> > phonon+backends package. But we can have a backends-only package.
>
> how gstreamer backend will be distributed ? from Qt as Phonon ?
>
> we can have a backends-only package (ie phonon-backends) or a package
> per backend.
> ie:
> phonon-backend-gstreamer
> phonon-backend-xine
> phonon-backend-vlc
> phonon-backend-mplayer

as a user, I don't have much interest in installing phonon-gstreamer, phonon-
pa, and phonon-yetanothersounddaemon just to get phonon-xine (the one that
works on my laptop). in fact, anything that depends on PA I would like to
avoid (k, maybe I'm paranoid).
so maybe a package per backend is good. :) like how xorg has a package per
driver.

--
This message brought to you by eevil bananas and the number 3.
www.chani3.com