New authorization library moved to kdereview

Nicola Gigante nicola.gigante at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 16:25:36 BST 2009

> On Saturday 18 July 2009, Stefan Majewsky wrote:
>>
>> If you want to add KDE dependencies (which is what I read from your
>> previous mails), the case is clear: kdelibs.
>
> From the KDE dependencys point of view this maybe makes sense. But
> as long
> as it does not do so kdesupport is just as fine, and an svn mv is done
> pretty quick (read: it still can be moved to kdelibs later).

Ok, let's make the point.
I don't know if and when the library will require kdelibs dependencies.
But is this the only thing to consider to make the choice?

As Dario said, the new library will hopefully become important for a
number of core desktop components, like system settings and every
other single piece that now uses kdesu to execute a GUI as root, so I
think kdelibs is more appropriate than kdesupport, because this won't
be a library which kde _depends_ on, but instead it will be a _part_
of kde.
And if we also consider that kdelibs will contain parts of my gsoc
project anyway, i think that kdelibs is the right place.

Qt-only apps can still use polkit-qt, which is already in kdesupport.

That's of course only my opinion, what do you think?

P.S. If you haven't written code that could use this library and for
this reason you can't tell me anything technical about it, can you
suggest me a list where I can find coders that could need it? for
example, where does the system-settings/kcontrol developers live?

Thank you,

Nicola