Kill KIO (was: Repositioning the KDE brand)

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Tue Jul 14 09:59:09 BST 2009

Lundi, le 13 juillet 2009, à 08:49, Boudewijn Rempt a écrit:
> On Sunday 12 July 2009, Harri Porten wrote:
> > What I find more sad is that a KDE dependency is always treated like
> > pestilence - even on KDE lists. People go out of their way to rewrite
> > things, dumb them down instead of simply linking against a library that
> > is already available. "Qt-only" is a misnomer anyway as e.g. QtGui links
> > against lots of other libraries already. If the feeling is that e.g. KIO
> > is too hard to distribute without pulling in all of kdelibs then more
> > modularization would be the way to go imo.
>
> I definitely think that much more modularization is needed. Because the
> libraries are intertwined instead of being like the teeth of a comb,
> separate, independent and providing just one thing, you need most of the
> kdelibs which makes it hard to cut down the size of your application, which
> is needed for some platforms.

+1

The rough split of the KDE foundation libraries into only kdelibs and
kdepimlibs seems to big a big hurdle. Let's follow Qt here (if this does it
as argument for some ;).

> For me, KDE as a development platform only really works when developing for
> a Unix desktop environment, and when I want to have my applications
> available on other platforms, I'll gladly trade down to Qt-only, losing
> some of the KDE smarts in return for ease of deployment and less memory
> usage.

Qt-only programs always makes me wonder what is wrong with the KDE libs, as
these are supposed to help for better programs.

Cheers
Friedrich
--
Okteta - KDE 4 Hex Editor - http://utils.kde.org/projects/okteta