Kill KIO (was: Repositioning the KDE brand)

Harri Porten porten at froglogic.com
Sun Jul 12 15:55:31 BST 2009

On Sun, 12 Jul 2009, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:

> On Sunday 12 July 2009 14:44:31 Thiago Macieira wrote:
>>
>> I tried adding D-Bus support for kioslaves before the KDE 4 release, but
>> gave up because I wasn't seeing the point. The protocol isn't suitable for
>> the communications we need (synchronous, blocking) and I also didn't see
>> the value.
>
> What would be the best way of using kio from Qt-only applications? Would a
> D-Bus API be useful for this? It's kind of sad that all the Qt-only apps miss
> the excellent desktop integration kio provides, although they are technically
> so close to KDE.

What I find more sad is that a KDE dependency is always treated like
pestilence - even on KDE lists. People go out of their way to rewrite
things, dumb them down instead of simply linking against a library that is
already available. "Qt-only" is a misnomer anyway as e.g. QtGui links
against lots of other libraries already. If the feeling is that e.g. KIO
is too hard to distribute without pulling in all of kdelibs then more
modularization would be the way to go imo.

Harri.