KAutoPointer: a new autoptr class for QPointer

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Fri Jul 10 20:54:13 BST 2009

Dne pátek 10 července 2009 16:01:04 Ingo Klöcker napsal(a):
> On Friday 10 July 2009, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >  I would argue that the problem in
> > http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/3919 is a problem on its own and as
> > such the solution is DONOTDOTHAT. I believe that quitting an
> > application with a modal dialog open should not quit, but instead
> > should require the user to close the dialog first.
>
> Obviously, this situation arises if the user logs out while there is
> still some application showing a modal dialog. IMHO the user should not
> be obligated to close all modal dialogs if he wants to log out.

 IMO the user should do that. For the reasons Thiago mentioned, and also for
the reason that you simply can't do it otherwise. The control flow has to
return normally, otherwise the applications ends up with the broken state that
this KAutoPointer proposal tries to patch over with even more breakage.

 Since Qt is going to get a scoped pointer, the simplest and best option seems
to be waiting for that, including a copy of it with code that wants to use it
now (it's all inline anyway), and, independently, the Qt bug leading to the
crashes with the dialogs should be fixed.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http://www.suse.cz