Kill KIO (was: Repositioning the KDE brand)

Dario Freddi drf54321 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 15:53:39 BST 2009

On Friday 10 July 2009 15:12:05 nf2 wrote:
> I love KIO, but - please, please, please - throw it away!

Thiago already answered. And love and throw it away are a bit of different
opinions, so I doubt they can coexist.

> It's a "proprietary" system just for a minority of applications.

Define "proprietary" and "minority of applications" please.

> It's
> an obstackle for getting third party applications like openoffice.org,
> mozilla or Qt-only to use full fledged network transparent
> file-management
> It's an obstackle for running KDE applications on
> Gnome or Gnome applications on KDE.

Just like $stack is an obstacle to applications not using it. It's the same
old story. You choose what to support, you live with this. If you want to
support everything, you create wrappers. That's what we do. I can say GIO has
the same problem to me. So what?

> It's not that exciting from design
> and capabilites anymore (compared to other options). It's a dead dog.

Questionable. What are the other options that work better and provide the same
level of integration and flexibility that KIO does?

--

Dario Freddi
KDE Developer
GPG Key Signature: 511A9A3B