flags

John Layt johnlayt at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 8 18:40:19 BST 2009

On Wednesday 08 July 2009 17:21:58 Hans Meine wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 July 2009 16:55:02 Inge Wallin wrote:
> > But note that this is one of the tricky political things that even
> > distros shy away from.  There are many conflicts in the world where
> > saying the very name of a flag can lead to fistfights.
>
> Isn't that another good reason to have only /one/ set of flags?
> (OTOH, we could now have an exhausting discussion about whether we should
> support the removal of flags for political reasons or not.. ;-/ )
>
> Greetings,
>   Hans

Well, the policy we've followed with supported Country Codes are to only
include those included in the ISO standard which is based on the list of
official entities recognised by the UN.  Now, I'm aware there are some who
dispute those, but they are free to modify the l10n files themselves if they
feel strongly enough, it only takes a text editor.  I'm fairly certain that
the UN will have officially recognised flags for official occasions so we
should stick with those.  I don't think we need to name them, just tag them
with the locale code as currently done.

John.