IDEA: Use PolicyKit & friends in KIO to allow privileged writing

Nicola Gigante nicola.gigante at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 17:02:51 BST 2009

Hello, I'm who is writing the authorization framework as my google
summer of code
project.

> I don't know much about PolicyKit...
> This would also require that the user enters a password at that
> moment ?

It'll depend on the policy set up by the system administrator, but yes,
by default the user will be prompt for a password.

> How multiplatform is PolicyKit ? OSX, Solaris, OSX, Windows ?

PolicyKit is a unix thing, but the authorization library will be
multiplatform, using native
APIs on different OSes, using policykit as a backend on linux and
other unices.
As part of my summer of code I'll write at least the backends for
policykit and for OS X's
Authorization Services.

IPC between application and helpers will use dbus, which is
multiplatform.

Nicola