IDEA: Use PolicyKit & friends in KIO to allow privileged writing

Dario Freddi drf54321 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 14:44:26 BST 2009

Hello list,

Since the work on the Authorization Library is going on, I am starting to
think about the next possible usages around KDE, in the hype of "no longer
GUIs running as root in KDE".

One thing I was thinking about was KIO. Sometimes you need to copy files to
/etc, or maybe edit configuration files with KWrite. It would be nice if KIO
detected if there is a permission problem, and in that case triggered an
helper requiring authentication to finish the job. With the new library that
would be definitely possible (and completely multiplatform).

What do you think about that? Does that sound to you as a nice idea or
something a bit too far out from the common sense? Please share your opinion.

--

Dario Freddi
KDE Developer
GPG Key Signature: 511A9A3B