Tip: library size reduction

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Fri Jul 3 03:08:27 BST 2009

On Thursday 02 July 2009 21:29:44 Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> Why not work on getting a patch for upstream in gcc?
>
> -Benjamin Meyer

I'm not convinced it's actually a GCC bug.  The bug was closed as not-a-bug,
saying that the different ctors were for the base object and not-a-base-object
constructors[1].  At best I'd say that gcc could perhaps point both mangled
names to the same generated code but that probably breaks a ELF or ABI
requirement.

[1] If I understand it correctly, one is for the case of the constructor
having to allocate memory, and the other is for the case of a constructor that
is a subclass.  In the case given in the bug the class is not subclassing
anything else so the ctors are the same.  I think the case of virtual base
classes can itself introduce a different type of ctor but I don't have time to
Google it right now.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne