KDE browser work team

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Thu Jul 2 17:15:58 BST 2009

On Thursday 02 of July 2009, David Faure wrote:
> On Thursday 02 July 2009, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >  Moreover, I don't know Konqueror very well, but could somebody point out
> > how Konqueror is tied to KHTML? I thought Konqueror was mostly a shell
> > that didn't care that much about what the part does.
>
> Correct. The integration with KHTML is done in generic ways, which allows
> to write other browser kparts - like kwebkitpart.
>
> > Grepping the sources for KHTML doesn't show anything interesting.
>
> Correct, konqueror doesn't even link to KHTML.
>
> Indeed the settings modules write to khtmlrc. It's not that hard to come up
> with a more standardized config file (simply writing to konquerorrc might
> even work, iirc KHTML reads from both khtmlrc and KGlobal::config()),
> or (if other parts have too different settings) to come up with a way to
> only show the config modules that relate to the user-chosen html-part.

 So if WebKit KPart has BrowserExtension and something to configure it, it is
usable as a HTML rendering engine for Konqueror?

 I assume there would be also work needed for things like kioslaves,
kcookiejar or KWallet if it's not done yet, but that's generic KDE
integration that would have to be done for other browsers anyway, right?

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http://www.suse.cz