QT_NO_DEBUG, Q_ASSERT(), and release build types

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sun Jan 25 10:01:41 GMT 2009

Armin Berres wrote:
>On Sat, 24 Jan 09 21:37, Andreas Hartmetz wrote:
>> > I don't think keeping kDebug() enabled in release builds is a good
>> > idea because of highly likely performance problems. At least, not if
>> > logging kDebug() messages is turned on by default. If logging of
>> > debug messages was enabled but turned off by default and could
>> > easily be turned on by the user if necessary (e.g. through
>> > kdebugdialog) then I would agree that enabling it even in release
>> > builds would probably be a good idea.
>>
>> Committed like that, revision 916186.
>> You can see the whole diff here:
>> http://mercurial.intuxication.org/hg/kdelibs/rev/287994f46c5d
>
>Cool, thanks.
>Kdebugdialog should also be patched now, shouldn't it? Right now it
>would enable all the debug output which is not really, what we want.
>Debian patch:
><http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-kde/branches/kde4.2/packages/kdebase-run
>time/debian/patches/04_disable_debug_by_default.diff>

I guess you meant this one:

http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-
kde/branches/kde4.2/packages/kdelibs/debian/patches/09_disable_debug_messages_if_not_explicitly_enabled.diff

The one above does nothing, since it's just the dialog. This one here does
the actual work.

Of course, the correct way would be to install a kdebugrc thta disables
everything...
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358