Fate vs Bugzilla for feature tracking

Eric Springer erikina at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 12:22:22 GMT 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 8:01 PM, John Tapsell <johnflux at gmail.com> wrote:
> How about launchpad?  Launchpad will be opensourced fairly soon, and
> is pretty much an all-in-one.  It has a lot of very nice features.

It's definitely got some really big pluses and minuses. Imo it's a
tonne better to use than bugzilla (especially from a reporting point
of view). We can offload the work and responsibility of needing to
host an issue tracker, but we then become dependent on it. I see that
as a worthwhile trade off, (Although this is said by the guy who uses
(and loves) gmail).

I do however question launchpads design, and I can't see it fitting
KDE's current process at all. And I'm not a big fan of how closely
it's tied to bazaar -- although this might be a plus if KDE was
willing to migrate to it, as I see DVCS offering a lot of benefits
(but I have absolutely no idea how well bazaar can scale to KDEs
massive code base).

But anyway, I doubt launchpad is possible without (heavy?) upstream cooperation.