update the feature plan!

Josef Spillner spillner at kde.org
Thu Jan 22 07:31:48 GMT 2009

Am Donnerstag, 22. Januar 2009 01:01:02 schrieb Oswald Buddenhagen:
> of course. do you think that address harvesting bots subscribe to lists
> and wait for addresses to trickle in when they can get so many
> addresses by simply recursing over a few web pages within seconds? to me
> this seems a bit uneconomical.

I have the suspicion (although no proof) that some of today's bots do
subscribe to mailing lists. There were some spam mails sent to moderated lists
including freedesktop.org with subscription just minutes before. It would be
rather uneconomical to do this by hand instead of just www-mechanising (Perl
slang) something within two hours. My fears that this phenomenon would become
more widespread have so far been unfounded, though.

However, given that most of the suggestions in this thread were totally
useless either and can easily be circumvented with using khtml's comfortable
DOM representation of any entity scrambling and ECMAscript workarounds, I
suggest moving this discussion to a KDE infrastructure list and coming up with
a real solution (e.g. user directory) or not discussing it further. Spam is
annoying, wrong solutions against spam are even more annoying.

Josef