Application version numbers

John Tapsell johnflux at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 04:49:41 GMT 2009

Is it possible to have an application version just simply be the
version number of KDE?

The version numbers tend to be confusing.  For example, kate is
released with each KDE release.  It follows the KDE releases exactly,
so shouldn't the kate version be simply the KDE release version?

Instead kate is at version 3.1.3, while KDE is at version 4.1.3.
It makes bug reporting kinda confusing.  If I say that I have a
problem with kate 3, people generally think that I mean the version of
kate that came with KDE3..  And Konsole is at version 2.1.

JohnFlux