update the feature plan!

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Wed Jan 21 23:31:31 GMT 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 11:47:18PM +0100, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 21.01.09 23:17:15, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > "your" page is
> > currently the only major "hole" in the protection i'm aware of.
>
> Uhm, not quite. markmail doesn't (where most/all kde lists are
> mirrored), pgpkeys doesn't, bugs.debian.org doesn't either. And thats
> just from the first page of googling your mail address.

grmpf. at least it is not our own infrastructure. who feels like giving
the responsible admins a slight kick?

> BTW: Google also finds lists.kde.org when searching for your email
> adress, i.e. it already recognizes () and !.

that's expected. for them it actually adds significant value and they
have enough cpu power to burn.

> > > that's why I think investing too much time into this simply does not
> > > make sense (read: I won't fix it) ;)
> > >
> > from a sysadmin perspective this is completely inacceptable. i'm
> > wondering whether i should simply shut down the page until you decide
> > that it *is* worth investing some minutes into fixing it.
>
> Personally I simply don't care anymore, I'm getting quite a bit of spam
> every day, but luckily my spam filters are still good enough to filter
> out >95% of it. In fact I'd say that I don't believe in obfuscation at
> all, it simply doesn't help fighting the spam (at least from my
> experience).

i once thought the same, but then came accross "that" study. i have no
idea not thorough it was and in how far the conclusions still hold, but
it pretty clearly indicated that even simple obfuscation *significantly*
decreases the spam load.