Fate vs Bugzilla for feature tracking

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Jan 21 21:14:33 GMT 2009

On 21.01.09 10:07:17, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> hello =)
>
> after a few weeks of (patient :) consultation with the Suse team working on
> Fate, i just blogged about the possibility of using Fate for feature tracking
> in KDE. you can read about it here:
>
> 	http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2009/01/do-you-believe-in-fate.html
>
> so i won't bother repeating it all over again in this email.
>
> it would be good if we could discuss this issue. i'm not really convinced
> personally about whether Fate is The Solution for us or not, but i'm also
> really unsatisfied with Bugzilla-as-feature-coordinator.

Maybe we should assemble a list of things that bugzilla lacks/is bad at
thats needed for feature development and then see wether this can be
fitted into bugzilla or wether we really need a new tool?

Personally I'm not really a fan of having two tools, I need to track two
different sites, need to work with two different interfaces. Let alone
the integration problem, when needing to move issues. This is even more
a problem for our users, which often aren't as good with such tools as
we developers and they might be easily confused where to put their
requests or why they moved to a different site...

I'm not bound to bugzilla though if there's a better tool to do the job,
especially as it seems that our installation still has quite a few problems
(I'm regularly seeing database connection errors and its horribly slow
often times).

Andreas

--
Day of inquiry.  You will be subpoenaed.