a strigi bic change

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Mon Jan 12 23:27:14 GMT 2009

On Tuesday 13 January 2009, Jos van den Oever wrote:
> 2009/1/12 Alexander Neundorf <neundorf at kde.org>:
> > Please don't change it in the FindStrigi.cmake file, but as a parameter
> > to it, e.g. like
> >
> > set(STRIGI_MIN_VERSION 0.6.3)
> > find_package(Strigi)
>
> Is this meant for clarity or is there another reason? Re-use of the
> FindStrigi.cmake file?

Clarity, reusability and source compatibility.

It's name is not FindStrigi-0.6.3.cmake, so it should just find strigi.
If the developer doesn't specify a version, it should just find any usable
strigi version. Think of it as independent from KDE. Just take some project
and try to use strigi there. That package which you don't know may have no
reason why it should work only with version 0.6.3.

It is also to keep source compatibility.
Let's say you have an application which links against kdecore and also uses
some basic strigi functions.
Then you will do:

find_package(KDE4 REQUIRED)
find_package(Strigi REQUIRED)

(ignoring whether Strigi is a hard dependency for kdelibs or not...)

Now let's say that developer still has strigi < 0.6.3 and this is good enough
for his project.
If you increase the minimum supported version of FindStrigi.cmake, his project
will suddenly not build anymore, because FindStrigi.cmake will abort with an
error now -> source compatibility broken.

What would be ok would be to abort with an error if version 0.6.2 has been
found, because if I understood correctly you don't want this version to be
used by anybody.

> I already changed the FindStrigi.cmake. Shall i revert the change?

Yes, please.

> > But, isn't it a bit late for that ?
>
> Do you mean late in the release cycle?

Yes. RC1 has been tagged and will be released today, and now we require a new
BIC version of a library.

> What would it matter?

Don't know, I'm just wondering.

Alex