Request to remove kformula from kdelibs

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Mon Jan 5 16:23:49 GMT 2009

On Sunday 4. January 2009 22.48.05 Sven Langkamp wrote:
> Hi,
>
> hereby I request to remove kformula from kdelibs.
>
> The kformula in kdelibs is a copy of the one from KOffice, which is
> alpha-quality and is not meant to be released. Second to that it causes
> problems with KOffice installations.
> It's very important to do this as fast as possible, so that it doesn't get
> released with 4.2
>
> kformula should be either continue as part of KOffice or be moved to
> playground.

I'd like to add my vote to this.

Here are my arguments;
* KFormula has been ported to Qt4 and some work was done following that before
the maintainer dissapeared in loads of real-life work.
The application is alpha quality and we, in koffice, didn't even consider
releasing it in the upcoming 2.0
With several failing unit tests and no commits for ages I find it very weird
that this could be moved into kdelibs as the requirements are a bit more
strict there with BC and SC.

* KFormula is an application, not a library. KFormula has made a name for
itself and googling will lead you to koffice. Reusing it in kdelibs in a way
that the koffice people find curious is not helping our how people see
koffice. At minimum it should be renamed.

* Someone copied a big part of koffice and didn't even send an email to the
koffice mailinglists (that I can find) to inform us and now we are asked how
to fix the mess of having two parts of kde-svn installing the same files. Ok,
this is not an argument against having it in kdelibs, but, really, why was
this not discussed? (I can't find any mails on kde-core-devel either!)

* I heard via the grapevine that the reason for this move is that some apps
want to use this codebase; which I think is great.  More users means more
fixes, right?  So far the last work was done on Mar 15 2008, so we could
serious use the manpower.
If the above is the reason for the duplication I suggest moving the app to a
new top-level module like "odflib" (similar to kdepimlib) which we intended
to make after the koffice2.0.0 release is out.
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=117900834226961&w=2

Thanks for considering this request ! :)
--
Thomas Zander