tags/kdesupport-for-4.2

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Jan 4 14:39:57 GMT 2009

On Sunday 04 January 2009, Alex Merry wrote:
> On Sunday 04 January 2009 14:01:20 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > We could use a directory (named, for example, kdesupport-for-4.2)
> > containing no subdirectories, but instead externals definitions
> > pointing to the correct branches (plural!) of the different
> > kdesupport projects. This way nobody needs to update a tag if a bug
> > is fixed in one of the kdesupport projects. Obviously, this would
> > require the kdesupport project maintainers to do proper branching
> > of their project (which they should do in any case), but it would
> > not require proper branching of the whole kdesupport.
>
> Aren't there issues with svn:externals, though?  Such as them not
> working when anonsvn is down, and git-svn (used by a significant
> number of developers) not liking them one bit.

It doesn't seem to be a terribly serious problem for
trunk/KDE/kdebase/workspace/kwin/clients/oxygen and
trunk/KDE/kdebase/workspace/kwin/clients/ozone which both have
  svn:externals : lib
svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/KDE/kdebase/runtime/kstyles/oxygen/lib

And the problem with git-svn is probably a non-issue. People working on
a kdesupport project would checkout the project from its proper
location with git-svn. Everybody else would simply checkout kdesupport
with svn since all they want to do is build all (or some) of the
kdesupport projects.

FWIW, I'm only building kdesupport/akonadi myself. Everything else I
take from openSUSE. This is probably not much different for most other
KDE developers.

Anyway, if using svn:externals is worse than using a tag then we'll keep
using a tag.

Regards,
Ingo