.desktop security changes are committed

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Feb 25 16:34:25 GMT 2009

On 22.02.09 12:38:21, Michael Pyne wrote:
> Subject says it all.  Nothing's set in stone until we release ;) so if you
> have comments/suggestions for improvement/etc. please let me know.  The dialog
> is a bit different now than what I started on, hopefully this final version is
> enough to avoid "click-through": http://purinchu.net/dumping-ground/krun4.png
> I received some much appreciated feedback from seele (although any usability
> errors are of course my own).
>
> Alexander Larsson is handling the same thing for GNOME, and they have changed
> their file view to only "sniff" for desktop files that are executable or in
> the system directory, and only files with a .desktop extension.
> (http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2009-
> February/msg00132.html)
>
> I think it'd be a good idea to continue further on and match that UI handling.
> Is there any reason we shouldn't?

I didn't follow the discussions very closely and I also have a kdelibs
thats 2 days old by now, however I have a pretty serious regression
introduced by this: My desktop files in $HOME/.config/autostart are not
being run anymore during startup and I don't get any information about
that.

If I wouldn't know about this and the related threads I wouldn't have the
slightest idea how to fix that (doing a chmod +x on the desktop files).

How is that going to be addressed?

Andreas

--
Your boss climbed the corporate ladder, wrong by wrong.