akonadi and it's impact on kde

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Wed Feb 25 11:58:31 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 25 February 2009, Volker Krause wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 February 2009 23:34:07 Michael Jansen wrote:
> > Because of commit
> > http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/kdesupport/akonadi/server/src/akonadi.cpp?r1=
> >92 2019&r2=931063 my akonadi failed to start. That's generally spoken no
> > problem. We all sometimes commit something that doesn't work.
>
> Fixed in revision 931461, also backported to the Akonadi 1.1 branch.
>

> > Kontact didn't show up at all. It run in the background but the gui
> > didn't come up.
> >
> > There was no way to find out that a missing akonadi was the problem.
>
> Kevin, isn't there a Akonadi::Control::start() call in the compat bridges
> that should have brought up the self-test dialog in case the server is not
> available?

There is one in ResourceAkonadi::init() (for both resource types), called by
both constructors.
However it is the one without QWidget parameter since the plugin doesn't know
any widget.

> > We should make sure that a missing helper application doesn't make the
> > kde desktop unusable. I can't even begin to imagine the bug reports if
> > such behavior happens to an end user.
>
> Obviously, this is not intended. Therefore, it's actually good that this
> happend now and we can fix it long before any user will ever see this.
>
> The background here is that the affected applications are still using the
> old KResource-based synchronous API to retrieve the addressbook, which can
> cause problems like the one here. Which is one of the reasons for starting
> the development of Akonadi in the first place.
>
> Kevin, I see two options to deal with a server connection loss in the
> synchronous job execution code: Add an option to Akonadi::Session to abort
> in this case instead of retrying or monitor the server status manually. The
> first seems easier and more robust.

An additional parameter would either have to be added to the jobs or require
manually creating a session object an pass that to the job as parent, right?

> Still, we shouldn't get that far
> anyway, if Akonadi::Control::start() fails.

My mistake I suppose. The result of Control::start() is not used. I am working
on a patch.

> > Back to the wrong commit: line 236 It goes to the else section too if
> > there is no need to update the conf file.
> >
> > @rdieter: I would have fixed it, but i can guarantee i would have not
> > adhered to the coding style so please do it yourself.
>
> As far as I am concerned, a quick fix is more important in such cases as
> following the coding style...

I agree.

Cheers,
Kevin