fine-grained apps menu

Andrew Dorrell andrew.dorrell at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 13:17:24 GMT 2009

Hi Nick,

No offense but its a pretty short blog and personally I hate the idea.

- I appreciate the notion of 5 \pm 2 but navigating menu levels is a
more significant cognitive hit.
- The *last* group I would apply your idea to is internet.  I'd argue
that most users want to find their favourite internet applications
directly under "internet"  - not under some additional tier.  Personally
I like them even more accessible than that.
- Also I susspect many users won't get the distinction between for
example "conectivity" and "commuication" and so will find some apps
*harder* to locate.

If you have a lot of apps in a single menu level, spatially grouping
them, perhaps just by adding spacers and / or different background
colours, may be more helpful.

Thanks for reading,