.desktop security changes are committed

R.F. Pels ruurd at kdemail.net
Sun Feb 22 19:51:56 GMT 2009

On Sun 22 February 2009 18.38.21 Michael Pyne wrote:

Now for something completely different but still related...

> Alexander Larsson is handling the same thing for GNOME, and they have
> changed their file view to only "sniff" for desktop files that are
> executable or in the system directory, and only files with a .desktop
> extension. (http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2009-
> February/msg00132.html)

Hmmm. I've been reading this for a bit, and they used the word
'trusted'. That set my mind in gear as to how we can make it possible to
indeed mark an executable (in whatever form or shape) as trusted.
Something like signing it perhaps?

> I think it'd be a good idea to continue further on and match that UI
> handling. Is there any reason we shouldn't?

I don't think so...

--
R.F. Pels,          Boogerd 1, 1791 GW  Den Burg, Texel, The Netherlands
+31612914545        ruurd at kdemail.net      http://home.tiscali.nl/~ruurd