"look inside" context menu item

Jos van den Oever jvdoever at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 13:25:38 GMT 2009

2009/2/23 David Faure <faure at kde.org>:
>> I did this. I took the ark desktop file from ServiceMenus as an
>> example. I checked the paths with . The only thing I've not tries so
>> far is logging out and logging in again. The path was checked with
>> "kde-config --path services". I installed both in the system dir
>> (/usr/share/kde4/services/ServiceMenus as well as my local testing
>> prefix.
>
> Tried `kbuildsycoca4`? (especially if you don't have the kded fix,
> but you should, assuming a kdelibs >= r918838, 4.2 or trunk)
Yep tried it with KDE 4.2 as delivered by KUbuntu intrepid experimental.

> Two contradictory statements, unfortunately... if it's the "one and only"
> then it should be feature-full... I don't mean right now of course, but if it's
> not planned at all ever then we have to evaluate other solutions :/
> Or maybe combine one of the solutions I mentionned into kio_jstream --
> or into a class that it can use...
Whatever the default for reading is, writing will most likely use a
different API.
The writing code would be independent of the reading code, so you
could add that to the current zip:/ and jstream:/ or have them use the
same base class which implements put(). So transferring the write
solution to a different kioslave is possible.

>> My initial question has not been answered btw. What should I put in
>> Exec in the desktop file action to get Konqueror or Dolphin to open
>> jstream:/myurl when the original file has file:/mypath as url? It it
>> even possible?
>
> Not directly, just call a script that does the correct URL mangling and then calls
> kioclient exec "$url" inode/directory
> (to use the preferred file manager, which might not be konqueror)
That will not open the url in  the same view, will it?
In my opinion it is most user-friendly to open the file in the same
app, be it Dolphin, Konqueror or a file dialog.

Cheers,
Jos