"look inside" context menu item

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon Feb 23 12:06:35 GMT 2009

On Sunday 22 February 2009, Jos van den Oever wrote:
> 2009/2/22 R.F. Pels <ruurd at tiscali.nl>:
> > On Sun 22 February 2009 16.59.05 Jos van den Oever wrote:
> >
> >> The tricky bit is to formulate the Exec= part of the desktop file.
> >> When the action is called on 'file:/tmp/myarchive.zip', the action
> >> should open 'jstream:/tmp/myarchive.zip' in the same window. What
> >> would the action look like?

The desktop file looks ok, but are you installing it into the right directory?
Looking at kdeutils/ark/app/ as an example, that would be ${SERVICES_INSTALL_DIR}/ServiceMenus

> There is a protocol for this:
> http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/playground/base/strigiplasmoid/src/jstream/
> It is more powerful than tar:/ and zip:/ because it can handle emails,
> rpm, ar, cpio and deb archives. In addition, it can recursively open
> archives.

Interesting - does it also support writing? The highest wish assigned to me
right now is about that; https://bugs.kde.org/77127. I didn't look into how to do
it yet, I only noted that I should look at kio_p7zip, fuse-zip, krusader, and ark of course,
all of which can allegedly do it.
So this makes the situation even more complex; if it wasn't for writing then
your kio_jstream would sound like the perfect solution and I would have
recommended making it default (which is easier, see the "archiveMimetype" field
of the .protocol file)... so I think you're right, a RMB / look inside is probably a
better solution.