Building speed on multi-cpu systems

Alex Merry kde at randomguy3.me.uk
Sun Feb 22 00:44:01 GMT 2009

On Sunday 22 February 2009 00:18:22 Andriy Rysin wrote:
> I have a 2-core cpu so I was trying to improve KDE compile speed and the
> quickest solution I could come up with to put "-j 4" in the makeobj script
> in the make command call (build speed was up ~30% and I in a monitor I can
> see all cores are fully busy now). Though this solution feels a bit hackish
> so I was wandering if there's a better/standard way to do that? If makeobj
> is the right place may be we could make it more generic so it tries to
> detect number of cores automagically (at least for some most popular
> platforms)?

Well, you could just pass -j4 to makeobj, which will pass it on to make.  The
best place to put that depends on what you use to build kde.  If you use the
bash scripts on techbase, then you can just edit the cmakekde function, which
uses -j2 by default.

Alex

--
Why have I got six monitors?  Because I haven't got room for eight.
  -- Terry Pratchett