oom_adj

Andrew Dorrell andrew.dorrell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 23:24:44 GMT 2009

Kevin Krammer wrote:

>>> To reconnect, or to make X bloat like that?
>>>
>> Reconnect, since most of data will be stored in pixmaps, so there is no
>> transparent way of recovering them unless you mirror them on the client,
>> which can easily double memory usage. All the other state will have to be
>> mirrored likewise.

 Personally I think it would be brilliant if this could happen.
Apparently it was part of the original "hope" for X

http://www.usenix.org/events/usenix02/tech/freenix/full_papers/gettys/gettys_html/index.html

"You should be able to travel between work and home or between systems
running X at work and retrieve your running applications (with suitable
authentication and authorization). You should be able to log out and
``park'' your applications somewhere until you retrieve them later,
either on the same display, or somewhere else. You should be able to
migrate your application's display from a handheld to a wall projector
(for example, your presentation), and back again. Applications should be
able to easily survive the loss of the X server (most commonly caused by
the loss of the underlying TCP connection, when running remotely). "