requiring .desktop files to be executable ?

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu Feb 19 16:08:23 GMT 2009

Em Quarta-feira 18 Fevereiro 2009, às 09:04:50, R.F. Pels escreveu:
> - it is readable for the person trying to execute it

This is required for scripts, but not for binary executables.

In any case, we can't execute if it's not readable anyways.

> - it has the x bit set
> - it is on a standard path (for .desktop files that is)
> - in this case, it has a hash-bang path (treat it as a script)

Good point on this last one. If we make it executable, we should add a #! at
the beginning because people may run them from the shell.

Should it be /usr/bin/xdg-open ?

  Senior Product Manager - Nokia, Qt Software
      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358