oom_adj

Maksim Orlovich mo85 at cornell.edu
Wed Feb 18 23:41:56 GMT 2009

>> That's basically impossible for a properly written X application w/o
>> wasting tons of memory.
>
> To reconnect, or to make X bloat like that?

Reconnect, since most of data will be stored in pixmaps, so there is no
transparent way of recovering them unless you mirror them on the client,
which can easily double memory usage. All the other state will have to be
mirrored likewise.

> Please re-read the post; xrestop reported plasma as having the lion's
> share of the memory. However I suspect that this is because plasma
> tickles a bug in The Blob; stuff is allocated by plasma during normal
> operation, but something done by The Blob prevents it from ever being
> freed as it should. Especially since killing plasma didn't help. (IOW I
> would guess that The Blob is wrongly holding handles.)

Sorry, I misunderstood, I thought it was based on some other intuition