oom_adj

Josef Spillner spillner at kde.org
Sat Feb 14 16:51:05 GMT 2009

Am Samstag 14 Februar 2009 16:46:25 schrieb Stephan Kulow:
> Actually I can imagine use cases when people would rather kill kwin than
> the OOo that is currently saving their thesis.

Applications can cooperate with the operating system to give hints on
voluntarily releasing memory in such situations of memory pressure. In Linux,
this is supposed to happen through /dev/mem_notify. I could imagine that
there be support in kapplication or d-bus especially for
RAM-vs-other-resources tradeoffs, like throwing away konqueror's or okular's
cache in such cases to save memory (and needing more network and CPU usage,
respectively, to restore the data).
It all boils down to how much adaptivity KDE as a framework should provide up
to the point where OOM must happen.

Josef